Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Little John: some pictures

So many things have happened over the past 24 hours that it's hard to decide where to start. And it's even harder to decide to stop-talking-because-nobody-cares. Clearly that is not a decision I'm committed to making.


This labor was totally different from Tommy's, much much harder (but not hard by any normal measure) and much more like the movies. I breathed through contractions and whined and said "I can't do it" right before he was born. I nearly passed out, and fell in love with the obnoxious anesthesiologist who wouldn't stop poking my spine with his fingers. Josh stood by me holding my hand and we played a round of SkipBo just before he was born. The phone was ringing (and text-bonging) like crazy through the whole day.

Plus it was fast. I woke up with the first contraction at 2am and Little John was born at 9:16am surrounded by Dr.'s and nurses who are totally whooped over him. Plus I got to hold him while he was still slimy and again within just 10 minutes of his birth.

It was an amazing and empowering experience. Everybody here at the hospital has been fabulous, (with the exception of the poker-anesthesiologist) kind and wonderful.

Everything is quiet right now - which seems to make me blink for extraordinarily long periods of time. I think I'll take advantage of the quiet and nap for a bit, but leave you with a smattering of pictures from yesterday.


Our first picture with Little John - courtesy of Karrie the extraordinarily nice nurse.

His (rare but adorable) whimper-cry brings out the Tommy in him.

Johnny's first bath



Tommy was not a big fan of Little John, but did finally acknowledge that he exists and even pointed to him before taking off with Grandma & Grandpa. Eventually they'll be best friends, but until then I'll be a Little John hog and Tommy will throw his face in his hands to weep, occasionally peeking out to make sure someone notices he's unhappy


Last night Josh curled up with Little John on the couch and watched him sleep on his chest. He sighed a deep sigh and said "he is my boy". The two are now in love.

And so am I.

7 comments:

  1. What a beauty he is! I know your glad that part is behind you now, but God has changed yalls life so much. There is nothing more precious than the gift of a child from God. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, cute, cute!! You two make adorable babies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, he is perfectly beautiful! I'm in love with my new nephew!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I can't wait until I get my turn to hold Little John!!! Lots of love from Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Amy! He's gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos! A halloween baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looks soooo much like his brother to me! Love these pictures :)

    ReplyDelete

Share |