Friday, May 15, 2009

Baby Egbert will be called.....


Now that we know it’s a boy, we’re pretty sure he’ll be named Thomas Adam Egbert. I say “pretty sure” because if one or both of us hates it after a month of referring to “da belly” as “Thomas” then we know it’s not going to last a lifetime and we’ll be back to the drawing board.  Here are my reasons for thinking we’ve chosen a GREAT name (so far).

Thomas is our Reilley-Dad’s middle name. And we really like the idea of naming our kids for people who we love and who are important to us. Also people with normal names. Not like Orvall, or LaMont.

Adam is Josh’s middle name and I like that Josh is our baby’s daddy. Also I like that his middle name is normal not like Blaze or Poindexter.

Thomas is a great name because it has great nicknames. Tommy, Tom, or Thomas. It doesn’t sound ugly any way you look at it. When you say it like he’s in trouble “Thomas! For the 10-thousandth time, put down that frog and come to dinner!” that fits and it doesn’t sound stupid when he’s brand new and NEVER does anything wrong “I love you Tommy-Wommy” (OK Tommy-Wommy is definitely NOT on the list of approved nicknames) and it fits in the Happy Birthday song “Happy Birthday, dear Thom-as” and it fits in that banana fanna song “Thomas mommus, bo bommus, banana fanna fo fonnus, me my, mo mommus, THOMAS!”. So far those are my criteria for names. Also normal initials that don't spell anything bad or stupid. TAE, that doesn't stand for anything bad or stupid does it?

As far as I can tell it’s the perfect name, and so far I really like it. Am I missing something about it that when he’s all grown up people are going to say “didn’t your mother love you, doesn’t she know your name means ____/sounds like _____/spells _____?” So, if I say that name, and you think “I can’t believe she’s actually considering that!” feel free to call me to repentance.  I may or may not listen but I will definitely read.

15 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm also a fan of family names!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy on the name-slamming. I liked some of those! ;)

    I think Thomas will be very dignified and good. Like President Monson. And Josh and his dad. Good job. Plus, I've always had a thing for the name Tom (you know, like Tom and Kate.) I approve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name! I think it's an excellent choice.

    Our baby's initials are actually your baby's initials backwards, which unfortunately spell EAT. I love her name enough to risk it. I figure it'll only be traumatizing if she's really overweight or really really skinny. Maybe we'll just keep her middle name a secret from her peers. How bad is ET? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all about using family names as long as they are normal too:)
    I like Tommy. Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I approve. And I'm super picky about names. So that's a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That conversation sounds oddly familiar...
    I like it, good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nuh-uh! No way! That's too ironic. Thomas is our boy's name, too, if it is a boy. It's Andrew's middle name.

    I think it's cute, but I don't really like the nickname Tom. Andrew likes it but doesn't like the nickname Tommy and thinks Thomas is too formal.

    Sigh. Who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, what rhymes with Thomas?

    Promise. That's a good one. And pretty much the only one. I don't think caccamise counts because I have no idea what it means.

    A ton of stuff rhyme with Tom and Tommy, so you're definitely good for the Quarter Master Store song.

    Wouldn't that be weird if I had a boy, too, and we both named our boys Thomas? Yeah, but I'm okay with that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My cousin's initials are EAT. He's cool with it, but he's a boy. ET phone home, but that's kind of a generation ago, isn't it?

    Anyway...that has nothing to do with you, Amy, but with Jessica.

    What can I say? I love commenting on your blog today. I just keep thinking of things to say.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! Seriously, picking boy names was really hard for me and nick. It was right up until the birth of each of our boys 'till we could finally decide. Simon was the hardest, in some of our home videos from the hospital Nick is calling him Duncan, which was one of our choices. Obviously we didn't go with that name so watching those videos is both very funny and weird.
    Anyway, I love your name, I hope it sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, and another plus: Lori and I would both have grandsons with the same name! Congratulations on having a boy. I guessed wrong. My guesser is off I guess. How many times can one person say the word "guess"? I love your writing, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe you picked already! It took us FOREVER! I love Thomas...partially because one of my (cough cough) favorite nephews is named that and Tommy fits his chubby little self perfectly. I like your choice...good job! I can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like it. Just another test to consider the stair way test. YELL "Thomas Adam Egbert" like you're yelling down the stairs to your kid, if it "passes" that test you've got yourself a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yuck! What a terrible name!!!

    Didn't feel too good did it? I'm kidding but seriously I wish you would have consulted us about telling everyone your name. People will say mean things because they can if it's not official. You should immediately tell everyone you changed it and it's a secret.

    ReplyDelete

Share |