Thursday, March 31, 2011

My Eternal To-Do List

I have a friend, Tiffany, who had some hand-me-down clothes for me because she is kind and generous. She told me I was welcome to them, I told her I'd come pick them up next Tuesday.

Only next Tuesday I forgot.

And then the next Thursday I forgot.

And then it rained.

And then it snowed.

For 4 months.

Somewhere in there Tiffany had a baby which I thought was why I hadn't made it over there.

She just brought them to me and although she didn't say it out loud, I'm fairly confident that she was thinking "OK, it's been on your to-do list for 4 months, it's going on my to-do list now". It only lasted on her to-do list for 4 days.

I answered the door wearing my running pants and the largest t-shirt I own. I hadn't yet put on makeup, and "doing my hair" lasted for nearly 30 seconds today before I gave up and let it curl. Actually all of those things are still true about me, so hang on and I'll take a picture, then you'll really know what I'm talking about.

OK I answered the door like this:


Minus the lips - I did not do the lips as I was busy hanging my head in shame and apologizing profusely for my extreme lack of responsibility.

She graciously didn't comment on my clearly disheveled appearance and instead had a real conversation with me.

Bless her heart.

And mine. Because as I understand you're always supposed to bless the heart of the person who looks the shabbiest. Especially if you're gonna point out the shabbiness. And well....it's too hard to ignore isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. LOL- Amy, the only reason I was dressed today is because I was visiting teaching. I actually thought, "Oh good!!! She dresses like me too!" Sweat pants and big Tshirts are my life. We have babies, why in the world would we wear something nice?? And cleaning the garage has been on our to-do list since fall... we just finally STARTED yesterday which is why I got the clothes to you today :) Hope you found some things you can use!!!

    P.S. That really is a fabulous picture! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy and Tiffany, I love you both. I actually get dressed daily, but only because I have to go to work. I'd be in jammies all the time (and yes, bra-less) if I could somehow get away with that.

    Your comments have validated my earlier life with babies, and I thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete

Share |