Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

I sometimes complain that we live so close to our families because it means we have to choose on holidays and it really stresses me out. But, after a fantastic day like Mother's Day, I have no complaints AND I hereby withdraw all previous complaints. :)


One of the things I love most about my mom is that she knows pretty much everything. Late Saturday night I called her to ask what the rule is when you're playing the piano for primary. Are you supposed to play while all the kids come up? If so, what are you supposed to play? Another mother's day song? The song they're singing? A primary song? A scale? OK, I know not a scale, but I wasn't sure about the rest of it. Of course she immediately solved my problem, naming the exact song I should play while they walked up - in fact, if I had asked her I bet she could have told me what page it was on. She's just that cool.


Sunday morning came, and I of course got really nervous. It wasn't even that big of a deal. 1 song. 1 minute. Nobody was even listening to me, it was about the kids singing, and most of the mom's didn't even care how they sounded. BUT I'm me, and I was nervous. The time came, I walked up to the piano and opened my book to start playing, but I couldn't do it. It was too quiet. Then nobody else was coming up, then someone made the announcement to the kids that they should come up, I was dying, then I had waited too long and it would have been weird to start playing. So, I skipped the reverent come up to the stand music. I'm a big baby.


After hanging out at my parent's for a while, we headed up to West Jordan to hang out with Josh's family. They were having a big fat barbecue with everybody in the world and it was great fun. I have to say the highlight of the night was when I was outside playing BOLT with Cami (Josh's 14/15 year old sister) and we somehow got distracted by a football. I confessed that I have never in my entire life been able to throw a football properly and she told me that she'd teach me, which she did! Seriously, I'm 23 years old and I've never once gotten a football to spiral, but we played catch for probably half an hour and I did a great job! I caught, I threw, I chased the ball, it was so fun! And I was so proud for making such an important step in my life. Cami rocks for teaching me and being patient while I learned. :)

This mother's day held another first for me when we headed over to the Egbert's. Ben had out the Wii, and showed us how to bowl. Turns out I rock at fake Nintendo bowling. :) Much better than in real life anyway. We had fun doing that, then he busted out the baseball - wow. I am REALLY bad at baseball. And the most embarrassing part is that I think I threw out my arm while I was swinging. :) Josh and I tied our 2nd game with a score of 1. Neither of us are very good at it, that's for sure, but we had a great time, and I'm sure we looked very cool.

In all it was a great Mother's Day. I'm so glad to have so many mom's who love me and who are such fantastic examples to me, I can't wait for when I get to celebrate Mother's Day with a child of my very own. I'm past baby hungry - I think it's baby-famished.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |