Friday, April 15, 2011

What To Do

I remember when Tommy was just a few weeks old and a friend of mine (Hi Eva!) asked if I wanted to borrow her bouncer. I (being the cheapskate that I am) said of course! (and thank you!) and she let me know she'd bring it over to me.

It was probably 10:30 in the morning, and Tommy wasn't that old and I simply didn't know what I was supposed to do with him during the day. I knew when to feed him and when to hold him, but there were all of these hours where he was just a baby-blob. So, I usually wore him in the wrap and did house-stuff. But I still didn't really know if I was missing something.

She brought the bouncer, we tried it out and she sat with me for like an hour while we watched him lay in the bouncer. We made faces at him (to which he had no response), we tickled his tiny and adorable toes, we chatted about adjusting to motherhood. And after she left a light bulb came on over my head. I consciously thought "THAT is what you're supposed to do with a baby!" and it changed the way I was Tommy's mommy.

Yesterday my sisters brought lunch to my house and we ate in my living room (heaven). Sarah also brought Logan (her 2.5 year old) and a pile of blocks. So after lunch when Tommy woke up, we all sat on the floor and built towers for the boys to knock over. After they left a light bulb came on over my head. I consciously thought "THAT is what you're supposed to do with a Bubbah!" and it totally changed our afternoon.

Every now and again I think I just need to have an experienced mom come to my house and show me how to be a mom; because although many things come naturally, I simply need to be trained in others.

2 comments:

  1. Which probably means you'll need to train me when I get to that point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true!! When Bubbah get's a little older, let him vacuum your house. My son vacuumed our house last night because it wasn't bedtime yet and we were all done cleaning up toys. :) It was great!

    ReplyDelete

Share |