Friday, April 8, 2011

Week 6

Written on March 11th:

I'm sick. I woke up in the middle of the night to puke and pee. Forgive the graphic details, but I remember so clearly sitting on the toilet with the garbage can in front of my face like it was just yesterday. But somehow I forgot to be thankful every day for NOT doing that during the past 17 months. Until last night. Then I was grateful for the past 17 months.

Josh is ridiculously excited. He wouldn't stop talking about and to the new baby at the zoo yesterday. He'd put his hand on my belly (very conspicuously) and say "I'm so glad we're ALL here." and I'd swat him away and tell him that he wasn't allowed to out us to Nate & Wendy.

Not telling might be the hardest thing I've ever done. But in the same breath, this baby might be the best secret we've ever kept. People want to do some major running and biking this summer. (A half-marathon with my mom & sisters? 5ks 10ks and halfs with Jess? Not likely.) A friend asked if I wanted to play Biggest Loser - Salt Lake (yes I do - but I think if I spend the summer focusing on weight loss, Dr. Man will have my head).

When I finally told Josh last week (I say it like I kept it a secret for SOO long - it was really less than a week) we both had a minor meltdown. New Baby Egbert (NBE) will come in the middle of a semester. And then he'll have one more semester. We live in a two-bedroom townhouse. Someone's gonna have to share a room with NBE. Life is a little stressful right now, and to be honest we're not really handling that stress very well - NBE is just one more thing we're not sure we can handle. But now we're past that (mostly) and on to the miracle of life. The blessing of a child. The joy of a growing family. The hope of better times ahead. And of course the excitement of a REALLY good secret.

5 comments:

  1. I know I was pretty stressed out about putting two babies in one room. I was sure every time one woke up, both would and I'd be stuck with two crying children. Always. But when the day came, it was okay. Josie turned out to be a deeper sleeper than I realized, and although Katie is a really light sleeper, she still didn't wake up most times that Josie did. We had to do some major rearranging to fit everyone in, but we made it, and we're still doing okay! It will be fine! I'm so thrilled to hear about New Baby Egbert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was worried about the 2 bedroom thing too. We put Maycie in our room in a bassinet until she slept through the night at 8 weeks. After that we put her in her crib and Annie never woke up when she cried. I have a friend who also lives in a 2 bedroom apartment and she puts the baby in the bassinet in the kitchen at night. At least for the first little while a bassinet comes in handy cause you can put them anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy. Breaking radio silence here (I subscribe to your blog, but am usually too lazy to click through and comment) to say CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm so excited for you guys. Also, we have three kids in two bedrooms and it works just fine. We have the boys sharing a room and the baby in our room (actually, sometimes in the walk-in closet) in a bassinet. Also, we're soon to be in student housing once again and I'm thinking of having ALL THREE KIDS share a bedroom. Just think how close they'll be and how much they'll love each other! Eeek! Anyway, you guys are awesome. You'll rock it, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an echo here, but you don't have to worry. The little baby never wakes up the big baby.
    We lived in a 700 sqft apartment in the middle of a big cold ugly city with 3 kids, no washer/dryer/dishwasher and we survived. It is never as bad as you think it will be.

    ReplyDelete

Share |