Thursday, October 11, 2012

Girls Night

One of my favorite things about living in Foxboro was being surrounded by people my age and in the same stage of life. Because we had so much in common I have friends there who I love dearly and to whom my children likely owe their lives.

So a girl's night was all about crafts that we all thought were adorable, or doing some baby-related activity. And there was never a gathering in which the conversation did not eventually evolve to pregnancy and birth stories.

But this week my mom invited me to HER girls' night. She had an extra ticket to hear Louis Lowry speak and get some books signed. I secretly think she invited me knowing that I had no books to sign and would take her extras. Not one to turn down awesome opportunities like that, I gladly took her up on the offer. I jumped in the minivan with her friends and buckled in for a lovely evening.

The conversation revolved around hospitals - but not giving birth. What? People go to hospitals for things other than birth? Wha?!?! "Sister So-and-so just broke both of her hips it's almost impossible to recover from that!" and "What about Brother Jones, he just got out of the hospital again for <insert common old person ailment here>" which quickly switched over to visiting teaching. Did you know that even grown ups don't always love visiting teaching? The messages? The companions? The guilt? The reporting? It will likely always be hard. Who knew?! 

The good news is that I picked the coolest old ladies (which I call them with respect and love) I know to break me in to hanging out with people who are not EXACTLY my age.


Sister Hamilton, Sister Olsen, Gramma Fugal, a crazy young person who literally can't keep her mouth shut

Not to mention a sweet event. I mean really, is there a person alive who didn't read at least one of Louis Lowry's books (the only books I know that EVERYBODY has read but are not required reading) and much more likely many of them. Hearing her speak made me love her (and her books) even more, and having her sign a copy of The Giver for my boys is something they'll likely never appreciate because in a world where paper doesn't matter an autographed book is either extraordinarily valuable (but their mean mom will never let them sell it) or worthless.


Either way, the company was delightful, the seats were awesome (thank you library friends!) the speaker was enlightening and thought-provoking (do you think that technology broke child imaginations?), and the party favor will always be my first "I got the autograph" book.

I hate to say it, but this girls' night made me temporarily forget that I miss my friends so bad it hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |