Monday, October 8, 2007

Conference Time

What a weekend!

We went down to watch Saturday conference at the Fugal house. Always an adventure. We watched, hung out, ate, watched, ate, watched, ate, etc etc etc. What an great day of conference!!! So many wonderful talks, so much was said that was so important. I loved the talk about "The Lord remembered Rachel" I LOVE that. Right up there with "Sunday Will Come" I think I just like talks about how even when it's hard it gets better, and that we aren't forgotten, and we are loved. What an incredible blessing.

In between sessions I wanted to get out of the house, and wanted to go to Deseret Book, so I made Josh go with me to University Mall. We went in, looked around, and bought nothing. But we looked A LOT. So many things I want! I remember my mom and every other person in her generation having those statues of Christ, or of people, or of anything else. You know the ones? White porcelain? Well, the new thing is the Willow Tree Figurines. I hated them at first, I mean they don't even have faces? Now I love them, and I want the couple one where he's holding her and taking care of her. But just now when I was looking for the one I wanted, I saw another couple one that I think I like better. :) Sigh. I didn't get any of them, but I want one someday. What I really wanted was a cookbook, but they didn't have it, so it turned out to be a wasted trip. But, when we went back outside, it was snowing! Yay for snow! Snow, and rain, and wet and cold, it was amazing. I LOVE this weather. I can't wait for the rest of it to come and for it to never end. I am so excited!!!

I was shocked to see Elder Wirthlin looking so weak in the afternoon session. I cried when he had to be held, up, and was so touched at how Elder Nelson handled the situation. Just quietly standing there supporting him. Spot the object lesson.

That night we talked and hung out until WAY past our bed time. And finally went home late.

Sunday was far more eventful. Josh's grandparents have been married for 50 years, so there was a big Burraston party. We went over immediately following the afternoon session to see if we could help set up. Mom Reilley had clearly been setting up and getting ready for days. There were decorations, tables set up, food ready, the whole thing. We played games with the kids instead of helping with anything. We're cool like that. When everybody got there, we had a big BBQ with lots of food, and tons of people. A couple of years ago, some of Josh's mom's siblings had a big falling out, and this is the first time they've all been together in 2 years. It was a little tense, but it worked out surprisingly well. Due to the falling out, I'd never even met some of them, and knew nothing about them. But it was fun to talk to them and to get to know them.

After some talking and celebrating, it was time for "The Cake". Grandma wanted one from Mrs. Backer's Bakery because she likes their cake, but the problem was she couldn't drive to pick it up. So, she asked Kyle (Josh's uncle) to take her to pick it up. He told her not to worry about it, and he'd just buy it and that would be his gift to her for her anniversary. Turns out it was a $125 cake! Can you imagine a $125 cake? Josh pointed out that our wedding cake cost less than that. Wow. The cake was good, don't get me wrong, but I probably ate $5 of cake!!! Wow. I don't think Grandma knew it would cost that much or she wouldn't have let him get it, but he was happy to do it, just shocked that a cake would be that much.

Anyway, it turned out to be a pretty good evening. Josh's sister and his mom had a moment, and I think it kindof made the party sad for both of them, they both left and cried for a good portion of it; but I'm sure that will all work out. After their moment, Josh's mom said that she thinks we should seriously think about it before having kids. Not rush into it because it's such a big decision and she doesn't want to "ruin" grandkids too. We all laughed because I never thought I'd hear her say that she doesn't want grandkids! In face when we first got there and talked about conference, she said she had to speak in Sacrament Meeting on her favorite talk and was going to say that Sister Beck's was her favorite because she talked about not putting off having kids and she's baby hungry. Ha! We laughed because when Sister Beck said that Josh and I both looked at each other and he said "you know my mom's going to bring that up, right?" I did know. We were surprised to hear her mention it. :) I love our mom.

It's interesting the different family dynamics that we all have. The more I see families other than mine, the more amazed I am at how many ways there are to handle a situation. It also reminds me that emotions are what all humans have in common. Every person has unique experiences, but no human on the planet has a unique emotion. We all share that.

In all it was a great weekend, not restful at all, but good. Plenty to think about and ponder. I just hope that we can apply everything we learned and put it to good use. One thing is for sure, this church is lead by inspiration and if we look for it, we can see the hand of the Lord in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |