Friday, February 1, 2013

Grandpa's Letters = success

I had just finished my Associates at LDS Business College when my Grandpa asked me to type up the letters and journal from his mission. The year was 2005 and I was single and done with school and perfectly capable of such a project. So I began.


Well, in case you didn't notice the year is now 2013.

Although the stack of letters wasn't that high, it is packed full of gems from my Great Grandmother.



"Refuse to worry or get weary!"

"The Drs. are overworked here and they charged plenty [to remove tonsils] $50.00!!" 

"Thot maybe you'd like a real rich fruit cake, but the darn thing didn't turn out the way it should in spite of great care and choice ingredients."

When I began the project I loved these little gems from Great Grandma Fugal. She shared what she learned at church and she bore powerful testimony. There were words that stood out to me as if she was reaching through the paper directly to me.

Then I met Josh, we dated, got engaged, married and life got a little busy. These letters survived 4 moves with me without much work going on.

This month I've spent a little time each day (and some days a lot of time) typing and reading these letters. They're beautiful. My Grandpa has an exceptionally loving family and the letters of support and kindness were beautiful.

I'm excited to print these (still working on the logistics of that) and turn them over to Grandpa for editing. Primarily because I know he will be over the moon to read these letters again. I know I was.

3 comments:

  1. You are AMAZING! What a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing those gems and for your work in typing. You're a pretty great kid with a nicely turned heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have done a few projects like this for my family over the years. When I just had one baby I re-typed my great, great grandfather's letters that he wrote to his wife while he was serving a mission in England. It was back in the early days when they used to do crazy things like call married men on missions. When he left he told her, "Well, at least you're not pregnant." ...She discovered that she WAS pregnant with their third baby shortly after he left- can you imagine?
    Anyway, I was going to tell you that the best and easiest way that I have found to print things like this is to use Blurb. They were reasonably priced, did a good job, and you can email the link to family members to buy their own copy if they want one.

    ReplyDelete

Share |