Sunday, August 14, 2011

Friends and Other Side Effects of BlogStalking

One thing I love about blogging is the people that you meet. When you're walking down the street, it's the people that you meet each day....

You just never know when you're going to accidentally try to blogstalk someone from Jr. High and form a 5 year co-stalking relationship that ultimately results in a real live friend!

Last week in our end-of-summer cram session we finally met Nancy-from-Egypt (and her girls) in REAL LIFE! Nancy isn't actually from Egypt, but she lived in Cairo while she was pregnant with Miriam and I was pregnant with Tommy and we bonded. So, everyone in my family knows her as Nancy-from-Egypt anyway. 

She was gracious enough to welcome us into her home and entertain us clear through lunchtime. Tommy was overjoyed at the idea of playing on the back lawn and even more thrilled when Rachel (Nancy's 4(??)-year-old) immediately handed him an oversized hammer croquet mallet to play with.

Rachel is as darling in person as Nancy makes her sound (which I very nearly doubted since it seems unreasonable that so much personality could be in such a tiny body) and Nancy and I chatted like 2 old ladies who have been friends forever sitting on the front porch.

Meeting new people sometimes always makes me nervous, but chillin' with Nancy while our children played was, quite simply, comfortable. And we all know how much I love to be comfortable.

I giggled when I saw the pictures on Nancy's blog because Tommy looks so much smaller than her girls in this picture. He's not THAT much smaller than Miriam - it's just the angle of the photo.


And I look SO much larger than Nancy in this one. I am. I'm pregnant. She runs marathons. You do the math. 


And when it was time to go (and take pictures) the girls melted my heart by loving on Tommy. This kid has no idea how good he has it.



We had such a great time, it's too bad I have no reason to believe Nancy and her family will stay in the country for much longer than a year. It would be cool if we hung out more often than every 5 years.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a good time!

    And I think Tommy is actually taller than Miriam—it really is the angle of the photo.

    And sorry for teaching Tommy what to do with oversized hammers.

    It was so good to finally meet you in the flesh! Thanks for coming! I'll keep stalking you for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! Isn't it amazing how people come into our lives? What a blessing people can be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This happened to me the other day too, so cool when you meet someone yo admire isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Amy
    This is Tiffany, your long lost childhood neighbor. Can I ask you a blog question? How do you put a song into a post? Just one song and it has a simple player thing. Make any sense? You've done it before, and I would like to try. Let me know! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete

Share |