Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sleep Training part 2

When we first started making Tommy "cry it out" so we could all get some sleep at night, I hated it. I set a timer so I'd know when it had finally been 15 minutes and I could go rescue the sweetest most hysterical baby I'd ever known. But I did it anyway because "you only have to do it for a few nights and then never again."

Apparently never is a relative term.

Now that Tommy's sleeping in a big fat mattress with no walls, he isn't thrilled when we close his door after wishing him a good night's sleep.

After roughly 25 minutes of the screaming and wall pounding I started counting seconds between his outbursts. It's really no different from counting seconds between popcorn kernels popping.

Only instead of getting closer to a delicious bowl of popcorn, you're getting closer to the child giving in and falling asleep with just the top half of his body on the mattress.

I really love popcorn, but the kneeling-sleeping-child-wonder is significantly more beautiful.

Plus popcorn doesn't give you kisses in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I remember this with Joshua!! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh you are brave! I am still terrified to attempt this with Lola, especially since my sleep is about to jet out the door with this new baby. Keep me posted on the progress and give me hope that it can be done before my child is 16!

    ReplyDelete

Share |