Tuesday, January 13, 2009

It's genetic. I can't help it.

There are a lot of flaws in my personality. I won't take the time to list them all here just yet (maybe for a future post...)

One of them (as evidenced by my blog) is that I think people want to hear me talk. I probably do far too much of it. Fortunately a blog is a better way to get it out than actually talking at people. It's less demanding because nobody HAS to read it if they don't want to.

Poor Josh has to deal with it on a regular basis. After spending 25 minutes in the car with me, listening to every detail of my day. I usually get around to asking him about his. He says "good". Probably hoping that his one word answer will shut me up. What he doesn't know is that silence just encourages me to fill the space with something. So, since he isn't talking, I do.

Today I found an excuse for this impolite tendency and by golly, I'm gonna use it!

I've been "typing my Grandpa's mission journal" for approximately 5 years. I was typing it for like 3 months, then I stopped for 4.75 years, and now I've started again. Wanna hear a piece? Oh good, I thought you'd never ask!

The lot fell to me to occupy a good share of the time - & I preached repentance for converted members.

It's more funny if you know my Grandpa. He really likes to speak. He was a teacher for 100 years, and then he lead tours to Israel, and he speaks at every family gathering (just for a few minutes.....like 20), and he loves it.  However, there are a few topics that he REALLY loves to talk about (the Gospel, history, the women in his life, politics, alternative health practices and why you should use them).

It never really occurred to me that loving to talk about the Gospel might be something he learned on his mission (along with picking berries, peaches, and cherries). But now I'm fairly certain it was. His journal is littered with references to his "discourses, sermons, talks, and speeches" and anytime there was a meeting, I can just tell, he felt the need to fill the time with an "impromptu, or extemporaneous" talk.

So, the fact that I can't let time go by without something being said, well, it's genetic and I can't help it! At least I don't make you listen to a full sermon every week in church. Forgive me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |