Sunday, June 8, 2008

The man I married

Now that Josh is out of school, I'm remembering some of the things I forgot about my husband.

He's a morning person: When Josh starting school, he had to adjust to be a night person so he could pass school. That meant he learned the value of sleeping in. I taught him what Saturdays should be all about (sleeping in until your bladder hurts so bad you think you'll die, then getting up for no more than 2 minutes, and crawling right back into bed because it's still SOO comfy). I thought it would take him a while to get back to his natural desire to be up, showered, and going for the day by 6:30 or 7:00 at the latest. I was wrong. It took him approximately 22 hours to adjust to not being in school. The first day out of school he was ready for bed by 9:30, and of course awake again by 5:30 or 6:00. He tries hard to let me sleep in because he loves me, but it's just not the same when he's not there with me, so I'm trying to learn to be a morning person again.

He doesn't sit around: When Josh and I started dating he was working for/with his dad doing construction/remodels. Josh's dad puts in like 10-12 hour days on a regular basis, and Josh was right there with him. Now that he has a "cushy Redbox job" he has grown accustomed to just working 8 hours, so I thought he'd just hang out with me and we'd watch a movie, play games all night, go on hikes, and do anything else I wanted. Instead, he gets bored and can't sit still and has to be working on something.

We've been wanting to turn the office into a massage room for Josh to start his practice for a while, but have had a hard time figuring out how we can live without a desk. I never sit at the desk and use it because we both have laptops and we prefer to be out in the middle of the house while we work. But, the desk is full of stuff, office supplies, paper, boxes, scrapbooks (Josh's mom is amazing, and scrapbooked his whole life, so we have a lot of scrapbooks), craft supplies, etc. We finally figured out that we could store all of that stuff in the top of the closet, if it just had 1 more shelf between it and the really high ceiling. So, Josh decided to build one. He went to work right away, bought the stuff he'd need, cut it, built the supports, got it ready, and installed it (plus another in the linen closet in our bathroom). So, now we have shelves, and it looks like we'll be able to live without the desk and Josh can have a massage room!

The only down side to the whole thing is that I still miss my husband! Technically he's here, but he works all day long, whether it's on something around the house, doing laundry, dishes, Redbox, or building shelves; he's constantly doing something. He'd work on this project until about 10 or 10:30 every night and refused to stop until it was done.

Well, now it's done, and as soon as Josh gets his license in the mail, he'll be open for business! There are a couple more things I'd like to do to that room to make it a massage haven, it needs curtains and soothing colors and something big and beautiful on the wall, but the table is in there and there's room for him to work around it, and in my mind, that's the most important part.

Who knows what project he'll decide to do next, with no yard, and a brand new house, I don't see the need for many improvements, but I'm sure he'll find something productive to do. I love my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |