Thursday, March 20, 2008

Officially Spring

Yesterday I was wearing sandals and took them off and wandered around the house (office) barefoot. Jason, noticed and said something, I told him it was legal to go barefoot in the summertime. He looked at me like I was crazy. Then promptly pointed out that it would be SPRING at 11:58 that night so technically, technically it was still winter.

I don't know what my deal is. I like winter, I like snow, I like clouds, I like dark gray skies. However, I also like flowers, and I'm ready now. I decided that if there isn't going to be snow on the ground, it should be BEAUTIFUL outside, like it is now. It's been the perfect temperature the past few days, not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket!

I love this time of year. You can wash your car, and it won't be covered in road salt within 24 minutes. You can go barefoot outside to grab the mail. You can have water fights in the driveway with the neighbor kids. You can take pretty pictures on temple square. When you leave after dark, it's still plenty warm and you don't HAVE to wear shoes. It is the season of vacations, swimming, hikes, barbeques, picnics, tanning, flowers, open windows, campouts, beautiful colors, family reunions and fresh smells. I LOVE Spring!

I'd like to go on record now as saying that I do NOT love summer. I love spring. I love the change in the season. I hate when it's so hot outside that you can't touch your car, seat belts, go on a walk, or do anything else for more than 2 seconds. I hate sunburns. I hate the dry waves of heat. I hate looking at mirages in the street and realizing that I literally live in the dessert. By mid-July I will be craving winter, snow storms, and crunchy leaves. I will long for the simpler days when all you have to do is brush a couple of feet of snow off the car instead of put gloves on in 105 degree weather before touching anything inside it. I will wish on every star that it will rain, long and hard, and I will take every available opportunity to head up where it's cooler (anywhere up, I don't care where).

So, for these few weeks that the weather is perfect, I will enjoy every possible second of it. I’m putting a chair on my patio, I will sit out there and relish in the sunlight. I’ll read a good book while breathing real air. I’ll eat my lunch on the front porch. I’ll walk down to the park when Josh comes to pick me up from work and meet him there. I’ll wear open toed shoes as many days as possible. I’ll probably pick somebody else’s flowers and put them in my house. (Shh…don’t tell.) I’ll even watch American Idol through my living room window so I can be outside during it. And before too long, I’ll be packing up our camping gear for as many overnighters as possible, and loving that every week there is some celebration, family reunion, event, or trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |