Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Blessings

I remember a time when I was probably 7 or 8 years old going to tithing settlement with my family. While we waited in the foyer for our turn to tell the bishop we were full tithe payers, they handed us our records of all the tithing we had paid for the whole year. I remember my mom showing me where the total was and me realizing how rich I was $8 is a lot of money to an 8 year old! It wasn't until later that afternoon that I finally dared ask someone "when do we get our tithing settlement?" I thought that tithing settlement meant they give you the amount of money that was on the paper. I didn't realize that it was how much we had given to the church. Then my daddy sat me down and explained that the really big number that said "total" next to it was only 10% of what I had earned that whole year. Back then I don't think I comprehended what a year was - or what $8 was. But I remember thinking that was a LOT of money.

Tithing settlement has never stopped amazing me. Every year I'm shocked to see that total number and realize that I made 10 times that much in 1 year. Then I always wonder what happened to all of that money, because I don't usually have much to show for it. This year was no different, except that number reflected 2 incomes, and blew me away twice as much as normal! At this time of year, I think one of the blessings of tithing is taking a look at all that you've been given in a years' time. We are so lucky to have good jobs, and to be able to support ourselves. For that reason, along with a lot of others, I'm thankful for tithing.

1 comment:

Share |