Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Knock Knock

When Tommy wakes up from his nap (or first thing in the morning), he goes to his door and knocks.

He has usually made some noise by then, so I'm waiting just outside the door to knock back. He knocks, I knock, he knocks and then I open the door to see his smiling face and he runs into my arms. I pick him up, he wraps his arms around my neck and rubs and pats my back and I do the same to him.

Usually I carry him back into his room and we sit in the rocking chair for a few minutes to talk about whether or not he "had a good snoozin'?"

He usually did. But we have an unspoken agreement that we don't really need to say any other words during our cuddle time so he doesn't answer verbally. Just with a quiet pat on the back.

He started this "I'm dong sleeping" routine 30 minutes into his nap today. He's whining and crying at the door knocking our secret knock every 3 or 4 minutes and I'm boycotting his decision to end nap time so early.

But I love the routine so much that I almost wish I could go do the routine, read another story and have 2 naps this afternoon. But only almost.

1 comment:

Share |