Saturday, September 3, 2011

School

School has started. Totally 100% in full swing.

Know how I can tell?

  • Josh has started whining about weird things. Like "so then they put in the catheter and did a probe and I didn't get to help at all." and "at 4:30 in the morning the lights downtown are on timers instead of sensors." and "they used to let you practice IVs on yourself, but now it's illegal so I've never done it on a real person. Stupid laws." 
  • There are more facebook posts about football than that thing about your bra or cravings or some other obscure weird thing about breast cancer.
  • I hear the kids at recess since the Elementary School playground is so close. I just can't wait until I have all the windows in the house open and can really hear the kids at recess. That's the best. Because the windows are open. Not because the kids are noisy.
  • The average age of kids at the park during the day dropped by at least 10 years overnight. Tommy suddenly seems so large. So very, very large.
  • My house smells like Office Max. I've never been happier.
I really really love fall. I love school starting. I love the smells and the colors and the clothes and the tv shows that come with fall. I love that fall means the end of this pregnancy. I love that Tommy is so much fun right now and I really love the change in weather (which hasn't come yet). 

And in the same breath I'm terrified. Because I might never see my husband again. Because Friday nights mean absolutely nothing to me. Because one of these days Josh is actually going to poke a real person with a needle and tell me all about it. Because Tommy is growing up so fast that before I know it he'll be replacing Josh on the front porch with his backpack on looking sortof adorable all ready for school.

3 comments:

  1. I like fall too. I used to hate it and refer to it as the season of death because everything dies and everyone retreats to their houses but it's growing on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely empathize with every one of your fears. School is cool, but not when it eats our husbands. And don't even get me started on the thought of kindergarten...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like fall too except that it means winter is close. My favorite parts are all the yummy fall foods like the new fresh apples, tons of summer squash, and pumpkin anything imaginable. Back to school is in some ways nice (to be scheduled and have quiet times again) but I always did miss my kids.

    ReplyDelete

Share |