Saturday, November 7, 2009

On traveling with baby

Turns out that Thomas's insistence that the hours between 10am and 6pm are "the middle of the night" is really great for road trips.

Not so great for the night before driving the 2nd half of our journey.....but hey, let's look on the bright side. You know...because I am a natural optimist....ppfffshhthtt .

When you have a baby on a road trip and you're paranoid about people contaminating him with their germs just by looking at him, you learn to appreciate the finer things in life....like drive thrus. And pay at the pump. How did my mother raise 5 children without pay at the pump? How does anyone in Circleville function at all without pay at the pump?

So far Thomas has shared his adorable bare naked butt with about 5 small towns between Payson and Page. And as far as I can tell everybody who lived in these towns was at the gas station while we were there. What is it with small towns and gas stations? I specifically remember hanging out at Walker's all the time back when Lindon was a small town - you know, BW (Before Walmart). But I have no idea why. What did we do there?

When you walk into a hotel carrying a baby in a carseat, everybody looks at you like you've just killed their grandmother right in front of them. I feel like I should wear a sign that says: "Yep, he probably will cry all night long. Sorry about that. Enjoy your vacation." Hey. At least he doesn't pee in their beds...it could be worse.

Being on vacation makes me a much less responsible mother. I'm not telling how many times he spit up all over himself and I just wiped it up with a burp cloth and let him sleep in his own filthy clothes. It's just that I was too tired (and lazy) to dig through the suitcase for a change of clothes. His clothes are so tiny and the suitcase is so big.....and my life is so hard .

In all Josh and I are pleasantly surprised with the success of our roadtrip so far. Here's hoping today goes as smoothly as yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. Oh. Is that a bad mother thing? I do that and we're at home. Of course, our washing machine takes like 3 hours (or more) to run full cycle so we conserve clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the rest of your trip. Funny story on our way one time we pulled over at this vacant rv park so I could nurse Gracie. There wasn't a soul there but the owner came and got all mad at us. He said he was going to call the cops. As if we were using any of his services or causing any problems. Watch out!! Hey we live in Gilbert. Just let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, you always give me at least one good laugh! I love this. :)

    ReplyDelete

Share |