Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I just KNEW that would happen!

Tonight was this big Relief Society celebration. Jennifer asked me to accompany her for a musical number, last week, and I gladly agreed. But the combination of my spending the weekend at my parent's and Jen having a crazy week meant I didn't get to practice for it at all until yesterday. It's been a long time since I played, and it was tough, but by the time I practiced with her tonight I felt pretty good about it. And then I totally fell apart. I'm not sure what my deal was. But for some reason, I just couldn't pull it together.

I've spent the past 2 days at home in bed because the combination of constant (and this is new: uncontrollable) puking, and crazy strong dizzy spells had me convinced I'd be no good at work anyway. But it's not like Jen would be able to find someone with zero notice, so I went anyway. She probably would've been happier if I'd called in sick and she did it a capella.

It was Relief Society, so there was dinner.
Dinner was first.
I was hungry. And at a table full of people eating. So, I ate.

Toward the end of dinner, I sat in my chair all awkwardly really needing to just go puke my guts out, but not sure what the schedule was. When they stood up and announced that we were first, I figured I'd make it through the song, then run for the bathroom and be just fine.

Well...I only kinda made it through the song - poor Jen. She has this incredible voice, but I was so distracting with my wrong notes and banging on the high keys (I blame the electric piano. I have NO idea how to make the high notes not sound so loud, I promise I wasn't banging on the keys!) that probably nobody even noticed how great she was. The worst part is I really thought I was gonna vomit all over the whole thing right in the middle. I should't have eaten anything, but I felt dumb not having anything, plus I was hungry. My mistake. I knew better.

Immediately after the song, instead of going back to my seat, I bolted to the bathroom where I was finally relieved of holding actual food in my stomach, which is apparently my new pet peeve. I made Josh go back in to grab my purse and take me home early.

What am I thankful for? Nobody but me saw me puke. Jen didn't yell at me and storm out saying "I can't work in these conditions!" (she's nice like that.) Josh had volunteered to serve dinner for the event, which means he was there to rescue me and bring me home early.

Still, it's embarrassing to have no control over yourself, and to ruin somebody else's talent. Sorry Jen!

2 comments:

  1. When I saw you leave out the side door, I was worried and wanted to find you- but I was on the program too. Hope you are feeling better. That was really nice of Josh to do the serving (all by himself!)
    I played my flute at a funeral 2 weeks ago and totally screwed it up. I'm still banging my head against the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the bright side....Oh, NM

    So sorry dude. They say eating is supposed to help the pukey feeling, but I guess not for you huh?

    ReplyDelete

Share |