Saturday, September 20, 2008

The unmentionables

I think most people have taboo topics, those things that they just choose not to talk about because they’re too painful, hard, or private.

One of the things I loved most about Josh was that we didn’t really have any of those. From the very beginning we’ve been very open and honest with each other, and I really don’t think there’s anything we avoid talking about. Sure we have moments that we’d rather not discuss something because of the surrounding circumstances, but we always come back to those topics and we always hash it out until that topic has been totally covered and we both feel good about it. It’s one of the HUGE benefits of being whooped over someone who is into emotions and stuff.

Yesterday I think we found our first (and hopefully only) taboo topic. Football.

I have never understood the rules to football, I’ve tried before, but I just don’t get it. What with all the “downs” and “lines” and “plays” and what not. My brain just can’t handle it. But, since Josh and I are SOO good at communicating, I thought maybe he could successfully explain it to me.

By the 5th time he had tried to explain why it is that when you get across the moving 10 yard line, you get “1st down”. And if you don’t get across it, it’s a “down” too. And if you get a touchdown, that’s a “down”. Everything is DOWN in this game! He started getting mad at me, he was ready to wring my neck and throw me out of Walmart because he was so frustrated. It is now our taboo topic. We don’t talk about the rules of football which are, according to Josh, very simple. Fortunately for me, he’s not really into watching the games and he doesn’t follow it that closely, so it’s no big deal that we can’t talk about it. Someday maybe I’ll learn…..but not today and not from Josh.

1 comment:

  1. LOL hillarious that is so funny! Jake and my taboo topic is cars. He gets so frustrated at me when it comes to that.. Funny blog!

    ReplyDelete

Share |