Saturday, January 21, 2012

Significant Sleep Improvements

A few weeks ago Tommy stopped sleeping through the night.

Since he started sleeping through the night (way back when we measured his age in weeks and not months or years) he has never stopped. We can put him down for bed at 7(ish) every night and know we won't see or hear from him until morning.

I know I know...spoiled little white girl problems.

Still...

Over the holidays we were all sleeping in, and got into the habit of letting him come in and snuggle with us in the mornings. He'd wake up at 6:30 and come in and we'd all (even John) snuggle in bed for 15 minutes before starting our day. It was heavenly. I loved it.

The first few times he woke up in the middle of the night, he came into our bedroom to find me with the light on watching tv on the laptop and nursing John.

I told him it was the middle of the night, but for some reason he didn't believe me.

"John awake? Mom awake? Good mornin'!" He responded.

Maybe I'm sleep deprived (and therefore stupid) but I really couldn't refute his logic. It was 2am, not morning. But still, what do I tell him? Yes. John's awake. Mom's awake. The lights are on and we're watching tv. But go to bed. And my ability to physically put him back in bed was seriously compromised by the fact that there was a small child attached to my chest.

So once he won that debate, he'd crawl into bed with daddy (who had no problem with the situation) and snuggle for 15 minutes then think it was time to get up and have breakfast.

I'm not sure if you've noticed or not, but the holidays are now over, sleeping in is no longer an option, and I'm seriously sick of being up all night. So I have become the snuggle nazi.

This week John started sleeping through the night, which simply highlighted how rotten it was for Tommy to stop sleeping through the night. Once John had slept all night long 3 times in a row, we (I) decided we should just put him in the boys' room officially since Tommy was getting up and coming in here every night anyway, it couldn't hurt.

So we did.

And now we're all sleeping through the night. The boys go to sleep by 7:30, Josh goes to sleep at 7:45 (I'm only partially kidding here...) and when I wake up with John at 5 or 6, Tommy and I are up for the day. John goes back down until 8, and Tommy and I get to bond a little before the day officially starts.

Tommy is a whole new kind of cute when he's well rested. He's not a monster who head butts me and makes me cry. He's a sweet sweet boy who climbs into his carseat and asks me to buckle him. He says "lub-ewwww" and "sawwy mom" at least 10,000 times a day. He entertains himself and is soft with Little John. He is kind. and smart. and important.

I simply love it when we all sleep through the night. It's only been 3 nights, but my whole world is better. WAY better.

2 comments:

Share |