Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fireworks?

Honestly Josh and I have never "been to" the fireworks together. It seems like we're always driving home from somewhere and see some from the freeway as we drive but we never get to see a whole show, or be close enough to feel the "boom".

This year was gonna be better.

This year we'd spending the evening staring up at the beautiful sky smelling the fire, feeling the "boom" from being close by, and oohing and awwwing and guessing which color the next one would be.

Eh, it was a nice thought anyway....

Friday night there were fireworks going on all over the place. We were home. We had no plans. We could have gone. BUT after spending the day Redboxing, driving to Heber, cleaning, more driving, more Redboxing, and shopping for maternity clothes, we were both wiped out. When we walked in the door at 6:00 and felt the AC blowing, Josh walked straight to the bed to lay down.

By the time I asked "do you wanna....." 30 seconds later, he was dead asleep. Not fast asleep (which you can wake up from) but DEAD asleep. I couldn't get a response from him for anything. I probably could have screamed that the house was on fire and he wouldn't have moved. So, it's a good thing the house wasn't on fire, or we would've been in trouble.

Finally (after about 10 minutes....what can I say? I don't give up easy.) I joined him and neither of us even moved until 4am.

We headed to Logan to spend the 4th with my mom's family, we tossed a frisbee around, ate good food, and my mom even performed the Wide Mouthed Frog.



This picture is posted for 1 reason only. This is my "maternity outfit" debut. I've been wearing maternity shirts, but not pants, until this weekend.
All I can say is: I'm converted. It might be worth being pregnant every other year for eternity if it means I get to wear maternity pants more often than not....


Nate & Wendy humored us with a few games of Hand & Foot before we headed back home for more Redboxing.

We just had to run by the McDonald's in Fort Union for a quick fix of a machine. We'd only be there for about 5 minutes, which would leave us time to hit the grocery store and a fireworks stand on our way home and light some stuff in the street when we got there. We were excited that it was only 8:30 as we pulled into the McDonald's.

3 1/2 hours later as we pulled away from the McDonald's we were less excited.

Turns out "5 minute fix" turned into a dead motor, an incompetent phone technician/programmer and poor Josh who couldn't get rid of either one. It just happened to be 1 of the 2 parts he'd never replaced before and the technician walking him through it on the phone wouldn't admit that she had no clue either. She wouldn't let him hang up, and she tried to talk him through the programming part of the process until midnight.

He had done his part, but just didn't know which setting the machine needed and couldn't finish the job without her.

So, another 4th of July has come and gone and we have yet to watch a real fireworks show or light our own together.

Honestly it's not my favorite holiday anyway, so I'm not feeling so bad about it. Except Josh was so excited to blow stuff up, and now...well it'll have to wait 20 more days at least. We'll see how that holiday weekend goes.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for you and Josh! That's a miserable way to spend the evening of the forth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nat about it being a miserable way to spend an evening, but I am a bit distressed about your saying that it is not your favorite holiday.

    The birth of freedom and liberty and someone doesn't like it? With a couple of my children in Iraq putting their lives on the line to protect and preserve that freedom each and every day it hearts my heart that someone doesn't care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anonymous - Appreciating and loving freedom is different than loving the holiday.

    I'm thankful to live in this country and I love being somewhere that I can be free. I appreciate the things people have done to preserve that freedom for me.

    But, that doesn't mean that the 4th of July is my favorite day of the year. There are other holidays I like a lot better than the 4th, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the troops.....the day and the reason for the day are 2 very different things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It occurs to me that what I said was probably unfair and a little bit mean. I apologize for that. I was wrong and I am sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not mean, but thanks for the apology anyway. :) I'm sorry if I sound ungrateful for the sacrifices of those serving our country, that (ungrateful) is not how I feel at all.

    ReplyDelete

Share |