Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Sunday School answers 101

Last week Josh and I finished listening to the Book of Mormon, and since we're studying it in Sunday School this year, we decided that instead of starting over at the beginning, we'd jump in with the Sunday School lessons, and read the chapters BEFORE Sunday like we're supposed to.

Some interesting things happened.
1. We have more gospel discussions than we used to.
2. I'm more excited to go to Sunday School on Sunday.
3. We participate more in class.
4. We think about what we're reading, so we'll be able to participate instead of just reading because we're supposed to.
5. I like reading scriptures and am more excited about what’s there than I was before.
6. As a result of all of those things, we are more Spiritually Minded (which, by the way, Is Life Eternal).

I've decided that it's a great thing to be doing. It's almost like the church leaders KNEW that good things would happen if members read the scriptures with purpose and prepared for lessons in advance! :)

So, last week our lesson was on 2 Ne. 31 - 33 and Josh and I talked a little about why Christ was baptized. When we first started talking about it we immediately went to Sunday School answers: "to fulfill all righteousness, to set a good example, because it was a commandment" and while we drove in, I was thinking of all of those answers, but decided I wasn't satisfied. "to set an example of what? What am I supposed to be learning here? I already know all of that stuff, and I have for a long time, but there has to be more to it." Suddenly the Sunday School answers just weren't cutting it for me.

After thinking about it, here's what I've come up with. All of those are true. BUT we usually apply them to him and his life, and don't apply it in our lives because it's not natural. "Why did Christ need to be baptized?" naturally changes to "Why do I need to be baptized?" when you're using the ‘liken all scriptures trick’. BUT, what about "Why did Christ need to be baptized? and what situations are like that in my life?" I started thinking that Christ didn't need to be baptized for remission of sins because he was perfect. He didn't need to become a member of the church because there wasn't really an organized church and if there was he was by nature already a member (feel free to argue that point with me, it's not real strong...). BUT, he did need to do the things he'd been commanded to do because they were commandments.

Since we're taught to follow the spirit of the law, I think we sometimes forget the letter of the law. And that might be fine sometimes, but what blessings am I missing out on because I don't think I need them? We think we understand the spirit of the law and if we think it doesn’t apply to us, we don’t have to keep that law.
"I don't need the financial blessings of tithing, so it's OK if I don't pay."
"I don't need my heart turned to my fathers right now in my life, so if I wait until I'm old to genealogy, that's OK."
"I don't need the spiritual blessings of attending the temple this month, so when I feel I need that boost next month, I'll do it then."
"I don't need the physical blessings of obeying the WHOLE Word of Wisdom (not just the coffee, tea, tobacco part) because I'm healthy enough without it."
“If I’m not feeling the spirit at church (which is the whole point of going) because I’m chasing kids, and so is everybody else. I don’t need to go. I’ll get more out of staying home.”
The list goes on. BUT, even though Christ didn't need to be cleansed of sin, he was still baptized. And sometimes, I think we need to do the same. Even if we think we don't need the specific blessings that are tied to a particular commandment (which we probably do even if we don't see a need) we still need to obey those commandments. If nothing else, just so we aren't breaking commandments or ignoring counsel from the prophet.

So, there you go, those are my ramblings and my spiritual insight for the week. If we keep this up, maybe I can have more insight from next week’s lesson too! At least I hope so, I’m liking this being prepared for church thing. :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Amy. Thanks! Since, I'm in primary and not able to participate in Sunday school discussion, please keep the posts coming!!!

    ReplyDelete

Share |