Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sicky (the 8th dwarf) and his wife, Grumpy

My This thing he has is seriously horrible. I sure hope nobody else gets it, I'm amazed at how sick he can be.

It hit hard on Sunday, with fever, chills, body aches, etc. Monday it turned to exhaustion, more fever, add headache, tight chest, and restlessness (meaning neither of us have slept worth anything in the past 3 days. Tuesday we remove most of the fever and chills, keep the body ache, head ache and tight chest. Add all cold symptoms. This is the recipe for a looong week and a grumpy wife.

Maybe it's just that I'm sleep deprived, but I'm relatively certain that I am the world's most impatient wife. The first day I was really attentive, I babied him and took care of him, waiting to see what else he needed. Monday I was equally good - only I was at work so it was easier. Tuesday we decided to go to the Dr. who told us that he didn't feel good (thank you for sharing your expertise! I seriously doubt we ever could have figured that out.) and that he shouldn't go to school. Today, I think I've had it. He stayed home all day long yesterday and I could tell he was really starting to feel better. He watched movies. He paid attention to things. He wasn't completely delirious. He whined more.

He could use full sentences, so instead of “uughhhh water?” it was “hey, would you please bring me some water?” and “uughhhhh cold” followed by shaking and moaning changed to “it’s freezing in here, do we have any other blankets?” Don’t get me wrong, the kid is still sick, he can’t breath, he’s coughing like crazy, his throat hurts, he’s tired, he aches, etc. But, the improvement is so obvious that I seem to forget all of that and just notice that he’s better than he was. And I started getting impatient.

Since he was so miserable Sunday night neither of slept very well. Monday he didn’t realize it, but he was up all night coughing and hacking and wheezing and moaning. He slept through a lot of that because I gave him some Tylenol PM. I didn’t sleep through any of that, because I got no drugs. Last night he fell asleep at like 8:30 and slept until 1:00 – I was still working doing laundry, cleaning up dinner, and watching American Idol. I went to bed at about 1:00 when he woke up again needing some more drugs. I kindly got stuff for him and sent him back to bed. He slept until 7:00, and for the most part he slept soundly – I on the other hand did not. I was still tossing and turning, too hot, then too cold. He’d cough and wake me up, I’d roll over and realize I wasn’t in bed anymore (seriously, I fell out of bed last night) and before the alarm even went off I was up at 5:30 this morning. Josh couldn’t decide if he was going to work or not today, which means I was really late to work waiting for him to decide. Today I am grumpy. I don’t want to do anything but go home and sleep. And watch American Idol. Those are my goals for the day. Hopefully I’m less grumpy tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |