Friday, January 29, 2010

The Sounds of Silence

After rocking and pacing and singing and holding and loving and cuddling and rocking some more with my (adorable) screaming child for the past hour, I am currently (finally) enjoying the sounds of silence.

I sit in the rocking chair in his room and listen.

I listen to the clock tick. With each tick tock tick tock he's been peaceful for 1 second longer.

I listen to the dishwasher drying the dishes. The utensils settle into themselves clanking together a bit.

I listen to the furnace start up and slowly spread the warmth through our home.

I listen to the grunt of a baby. I can almost hear his muscles relaxing one at a time. Slowly his body calms and eventually it will fall asleep.

I listen to the squeak of my rocking chair. Back and forth back and forth back and forth.

When it's painfully apparent that I'm the loudest one in the room, I slowly sneak out, leaving Thomas to his dreams. Ready to start my own.

1 comment:

Share |