Friday, November 4, 2011

Mommy

For some unknown reason when Tommy was born I didn't want my mom to come stay with me. She was willing, but I didn't want to be "entertaining" with a new baby. And I suppose the truth is that like a two-year-old I wanted to "do it myself!"

I guess I didn't have a clue how much I'd need her. 

She spent the day with us yesterday and there's no way I could have known how much I'd need her. 

She cooked and cleaned and laundry'd. She entertained Tommy and snuggled Johnny. She offered her opinion and told me that I was doing everything just right. She sat around and talked and kept busy and demanded that I take a nap. She fed me (and everyone else) lunch and dinner and snacks and dessert. She told me funny stories and reduced me to tears in a matter of seconds. She brought gifts for Little John and Tommy (a boinging girraffe which makes all of us laugh) and she somehow did it all without seeming overwhelmed or crazy.

It's almost like she's done this before and already knew what to do.

I haven't always appreciated my mom, but I have always loved her. But somehow, having a baby makes me appreciate her and love her in ways that never occurred to me before.

She's had 30 years to perfect her mothering abilities, and I suppose that the whole "you never stop being a mom" thing is not only true, but necessary if you want to be THIS good at it.

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely post...a mother always will be your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mom! I wish she'd come hang out with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have an awesome mom. It's the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! You're mom is SUPERB. I am blessed to have her as a mother-in-law. She's been amazing as my fill-in mom too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad your Mom is around. It's different now that you have two, I'm glad you accepted her help. Sometimes it's nice just to have someone to talk to and tell you it's all ok!

    As always, you're so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope I can be a mom like that someday.

    ReplyDelete

Share |